Monday 28 November 2011

Aids in my family

I always get nervous when the 1st of December nears. This is the time I take stock of the people I have lost to Aids. This year reached its record high. But I am proud to say two lives were saved and I was part of the rescue. People should not die of Aids. No this year. Almost a whole generation was wiped out by Aids. But now I can afford a smile and say that I have cousins that are on anti viral medication. They did not slip away like many more who have since died.

I saw the pain in some of them, I helped nurse others back to health in the hope we will have good times again. My hope was dashed and they succumbed to the pandemic. My family is like an amputee. Simply because we cannot replace the lives of Michael, Anna, Sipho and their children. Both sides of my family are reeling from the deaths.

The last two months have been difficult as the new cases of the same kind. Every time the phone rang we would look for each and wait for the brave one to accept the possible news of another loss. But it was not to be. We did not only cry for help, but we stood together and fought to save the lives of our family members. Like thirsty amputee, we crawled to the waters in the distance and quenched our thirst.

But Aids in my family remains a little demon in hidden in our midst waiting to pounce. I pray for good health every day. May the gods hear us. May God heed our call.

No comments:

Post a Comment