Thursday 10 May 2012

Hey Chiief, listen

Chief Holomisa, it took me a while before I could figure out what I want to say to you. But in all my years as a traditional healer I have never suffered any form of prejudice because I'm gay. When people walk into my Ndumba (consultation room) they do not inquire about my sexual orientation. And from that I have concluded that my being homosexual has nothing to do with my calling to be a sangoma. 


Just like it does not hinder a gay or lesbian medical practitioner to do their job. Homosexuality is not a choice or a disease that anyone can cure. I am part of new generation of African traditional healers who are seen as a community builder, counsellor and a custodian of our customs and traditions. That has nothing to do with my sexuality. I practise ubungoma (my duties as a sangoma) the same way that my great-grandmother Mambele did. I do it with pride in the challenging modern days. 


Being a sangoma is a very spiritual thing. We cannot practise it with broken spirits because we have the likes of Contralesa questioning our existence. The African tradition and religion also believe in a Higher power or God and I have enjoyed and still enjoy blessings from God of my ancestors as gay as I am. Between you and me chief, I don't like talking about my sexuality over and over again. I'm not hiding it but I just hate having to prove and validate my existence to people who don't understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment