Tuesday 18 October 2011

Religion is not a value

Not too many of my friends are religious. But when the topic or debate on Religion comes up, some hide and some take me on. I know most people do not talk about religion. Simply because it does not enter our daily lives. Today I had a conversation with an old lady who wanted to know the meaning of my red and white beads. She used religion to convince me that following traditions and custom was wrong. She referred to her religion as a value.
I then realised we had different values. I also believe that religion is not a value. Spirituality and the belief in God, I believe those are values. Religion is a discipline. The kind that pretends to be about love, family and charity. But it is instead a vehicle of hatred and war.
Some say it is politically incorrect to celebrate Christmas. Christians get upset and moan about the Jewish Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashanah, Hanukkah and Passover.  And then it degenerates to the war in the Middle East. Jews and Muslims. The persecution of gay and lesbian people. Then you ask yourself what kind of religion wants to make other human beings disappear off the face of the earth. The Pope sits at the Vatican while children are molested and their future quashed by ordained priest. This is all within a religion. Some people use Islam to vent. Suicide bombs. Religion is not a value. Spirituality and the belief in God is. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment