Sunday 19 May 2013

My Tribute to Vuyo Mbuli (14 May 1967 to 18 May 2013)

Today we woke up of news that renowned broadcaster, Vuyo Mbuli died of a heart attack while watching a rugby match in Bloemfontein. To me, it was like I just lost a family member. His larger than life personality was on my TV screen every morning. It became a daily ritual to hear him deliver news before we go to school. Then I grew up, it became every morning before I go to work. Vuyo Mbuli, delivering news in the most unconventional way. There are those who were lucky enough to have had Vuyo say "O bosso wena" to them. This was an accolade to any extraordinary South African interviewed by Vuyo Mbuli. 

Anybody  who didn't know President Jacob Zuma's middle name Gedleyihlekisa, now knows because Vuyo always made it his mission to name him in full in all his bulletins. He did the same for Thabo Mvuyelwa Mbeki. It can be said that the 46-year-old TV personality was patriotic and took pride being a South African journalist, telling stories in ways that South Africans would find easy to consume. 

I did not know Vuyo personally, but when I worked at the SABC, still fresh from training to become a Sangoma. He saw me in my attire and beads, he made feel even more at home. Greeted me with respect and commended me for heeding a call that not so many in the "corporate world" would be proud to display. I thanked him with tears in my eyes. From that day when I met him on the SABC coridors we would greet and have small talk. He was a people's person. The security personnel at the SABC loved him. He would be late for make-up, held up downstaris chatting about soccer over the weekend. He could converse with anyone and would attempt speaking any South African language.

He loved saying Mintiro ya vulavula, that's Xitsonga for actions speak louder than words. His actions will be a legacy left for all of us to reflect and choose our own course. Some of his actions reported in the media were not pleasing. He made mistakes like all of us. Although the media would not tell us if he made up for his errors. The little I know is that he remained a committed father to his children. A few days ago I retweeted his tweet saying he was watching his child play soccer. A moment he clearly enjoyed. 

Vuyo Mbuli, rest in peace my brother. South Africa is poorer without you. 

5 comments:

  1. Matuba ,thank you for such a touchy and true trubute , The man will be missed I enjoyed the morning show. May his soul rest in peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have known Vuyo Mbuil ( not personally though) from the time he presented with PaddyO'Byrne. He was as impressive as Paddy. I knew then that Vuyo would be a great Broadcaster. Rest in Peace Brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was talking about him as recently as friday evening. I enjoyed how he liked using big words especially the word "CONTESTATIONS". RIP Vuyo

    ReplyDelete
  4. my heart is bleeding for the passing of this great man.my father used to say *uba uThixo ebedlula kum xa kuzosweleka umntu ngendimkhombisile umntu amakamthathe* RIP brother.

    ReplyDelete