Saturday 25 May 2013

The Stench of death



Maybe we must start buying each other tombstones as Christmas gifts or even on Birthdays just so we all get to understand that we will some day leave this world. Death of our loved ones traumatise us forever. Sometimes even those who left us long go still have a massive impact on the lives we live today. The Holocaust, Sharpeville Massacre, the Iraqi War, the famine that plagued Ethoipia and Somalia. They changed the coure of many lives. We still commemorate the Rwanda genocide. Death has an enormous impact on all of us. It is still difficult to see it as part of life I'm sure not just for me, but for many others too. 

The passing of TV personality Vuyo Mbuli, was a serious wake up call for me. It was more of a text message from the universe. I had forgotten that we are not immortal. I had abandoned my mission to make a difference, to make a mark and embrace good old life. I was absorbed in the petty matters of the heart. Every spare second I had was spent on moping around, making excuses and feeling sorry for myself. I was blind to see the opportunities that Were just a stone-throw away. Days would go by without accomplishing a thing. Not even put a smile on someone else. I wanted great things that I did not work for. If ever I was caught solving problems, they wouldn't be my own. No peace of mind. 

I look at my elderly parents with a different eye now. I acknowledge that they will not be here with us forever. But that doesn't drive me into a depression state. It just helps me appreciate them more. Death has ironically become a life's lesson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment