Sunday 20 November 2016

Tribute to Prof. Mzilikazi Khumalo


It actually took a strange event for me to realise that we should not wait for people's demise before we honour them. My partner got what we call a "visa" to go out and party till very late. When he came back home, I could not fall asleep. When this happens I usually raid the fridge, make a snack and read a book. But Prof. Mzilikazi Khumalo had been on my mind ever since another musical talent, Sidwell Mhlongo revived Prof. Khumalo's gem. Ushaka. This was in itself an honour to South Africa's living legend. The 2015 grand performance by Gauteng Choristers, under Mhlongo's baton was, for me a call to introspect and recognise all the great things that still make this country a great place. 
As a classical music lover, I take it upon myself to elevate and pay homage to South African greats in this genre of music. There are many others like MM Moerane, JSP Motuba, JP Mohapeloa, Podu Mamabolo, TL Tsambo. The list is long and their work and contribution to our society is immeasurable. At this time, Prof. Khumalo stands out because of what he was able to do with something that represents some of the violent times in the history of our country. The rule of King Shaka as documented by European historians, was not always a great one, especially for his subjects. However, in the music of Prof. Khumalo about The Zulu King, one is able to find a sense of pride. The lessons on heritage and a sense of belonging are also key factors that embody the creativity in which this history is documented. Thank you Mntungwa and we give thanks to God and to your ancestors; Nin' enadl'umuntu nimyenga ngendaba. Mantungwa aluhlaza! 
It was through Prof. Mzilikazi Khumalo that I got to know some of the great singers in South Africa. The people till this day, I still associate with choral music. Sibongile Khumalo, Sibongile Mngoma, Themba Mkhwane. I learned that loving classical music was not weird or unusual. Prof. Khumalo was the window to the outside world. A world with people like me who love this craft. Growing up in a Lutheran home with parents and siblings active in church, choral music became my main reason to stay safe in church. It was the only place where I could live my passion. The passion inspired by the Salvation Army choir Prof. Khumalo conducted on TV every Sunday evening. As I grew up to be more independent, I never missed the Annual Mass Choir Festival at the Standard Bank Arena. Prof. Khumalo, Richard Cock and Danny Pooe were conductors of the mass choir. It was also my first experience listening to a live orchestra. A feeling that I still cannot explain up to today. 
I could write a whole book about my love for music and the legends of choral music in this country of ours. Khabi Mngoma and George Mxadana are among those who kept the candle burning even when strong winds blew their way. Black excellence during their time was unimaginable. Few mastered it. Prof. Mzilikazi Khumalo forms a great part of the foundation of my passion for music. May he be blessed with comfort, good health and a legacy that lives on for generations. 

Photo Credit: AfriClassic

No comments:

Post a Comment