Sunday 27 August 2017

My father's son. My mother's child.

This is you and
Papa back in 2015,
Painting the wall
at home. Love how
You loved each other
 I am in between two extremes. I experience fulfilling moments with family, friends and colleagues. And then there are these new lows I experience as a hang over from the good times. That's mostly when I miss you. The pain is still so intense.

I am not the only one missing you. Papa misses his babrber. You. He does not say it so much. He rarely expresses his feelings. But I saw him shed a tear this weekend. I spoke about you to both him and Mama. I was choking as I was telling them the plans we had for this weekend. I saw Papa cry too. You both took a while before you warmed up to each other. When the period of getting to know each other ended. You were father and son.

I know this from your disagreements. I learned it from the things you did together. Most of them without me. I've walked into the conversations you had with him. About work, cars about your family. I also remember how he jokingly threatened to kick us out of the house when we didn't tell him we won't be coming back home.

I also won't forget how you helped nurse him back to health when he was attacked with injuries we thought would kill him. You were the pillar of the family. The hospital drives. The hugs and love you showed the whole family. The most beautiful expression of love you've always shown was respect. That's your legacy. That's one of the lessons I take from this painful experience. You are my father's son. He misses you.

I took a photo of you, capturinga picture of Mama in her church
choir uniform during one of theirfestivals. Mama's always been
proud of us and happy to see together.


Mama wears your sweater every week. She's hurting. But she's asking us not to cry so much for you. She reckons  our cries will not set your free into the afterlife. She prays a lot for your spirit to find peace. She's also asking you to appear in her dreams and assure her you're at peace. You are my mother's child. She misses you.

I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment